Voters’ questions answered tonight
Got any last-minute questions before you vote? You can meet local candidates and ask them your questions at a public forum in East Hillsborough. The forum is at 7:00 p.m. tonight (Monday), at Balm Civic Center, 14747 Balm Wimauma Road. It’s hosted by the Balm Civic Association, whose president, Marcella O’Steen, will moderate.
I attended this event during the last election cycle, and it is one of the better public forums. Marcella O’Steen is an intelligent, direct and even-handed moderator, giving everyone a fair chance to be heard and keeping the proceedings polite, yet frank and informative. Everyone is welcome to this free event, and coffee & dessert will be served.
You’ll feel comfortable raising your hand to ask a question here, and Marcella will do her best to help you get straight answers. Or just listen. R-LAND and U-CAN (both named “Best Activists” in Creative Loafing’s 2008 Best of the Bay awards) are encouraging their members to attend, and the Balm group includes engaged and passionate activists, so there are bound to be plenty of informed and provocative questions from this audience.
Candidates invited to the forum:
• U.S. Representative, District 12: Adam Putnam (R), Doug Tudor (D)
• County Commission, District 4: Al Higginbotham (R), Pete Gifford (NPA)
• County Commission, District 6: Brian Blair (R), Kevin Beckner (D)
• Supervisor of Elections: Buddy Johnson (R), Phyllis Busansky (D)
• Property Appraiser: Rob E. Turner (R), Ken Ayers (D)
• School Board: Stephen Gorham, Carol Kurdell
• and 2 speakers on the ELAPP Amendment
Putnam, Higginbotham & Blair are unlikely to show (chickens!) but the rest of this list is confirmed to attend — even Buddy Johnson.
Questions? Call Marcella O’Steen, 813-633-5200